Every person who maintained the kitchen needs to take care of food wastage even though it’s annoying. In this article, we will delve into the process of “How to Plumb a Double Kitchen Sink with Disposal and Dishwasher?” and will also provide proper insights about the process of doing it. Scroll down!
Some people think they should hire a plumber for kitchen sink with disposal and dishwasher, but it is not that hard that need help one can do it by him too.
The most preferred thing is having a garbage disposal system embedded in the system instead of fixed separately, making the process of double sink plumbing with garbage disposal and dishwasher so simple. It is most recommended for people who want to save their time cost.
How to Plumb a Double Kitchen Sink with Garbage Disposal?
To install the garbage disposal on the double bowl sink, you need some things to get it done. These things are as follows:
- A piece of cloth
- Plumber’s putty
- Utility knife
- Slip joint pliers
- Wire nuts
- Garbage disposal unit
- Non-contact voltage tester
- Wire strippers
After collecting all the information, you need to start the installation process of double sink plumbing with garbage disposal and dishwasher that will take some hours. The steps are as follows:
- Clean the kitchen cabinet below the sink if it is not cleaned, which makes it easy for you to work
- Now switch off the circuit breaker for wiring of the garbage disposal unit.
- Use a voltage tester to ensure that there is no flow of electricity in the wires; if it shows the power, then switch off the breaker manually and check again with the tester.
- Now take slip joint pliers and use them to remove the couplers that join the drain’s extension pipe and place the parts safely. Use the cloth piece while plugging the drainage as it releases a foul smell if you have not done it like this.
- Use pliers to undo the nuts found below the drain coupling. After that, you will be able to separate the lower part from the upper one.
- Use putty to the flange of the unit and insert it at the appropriate hole on the sink.
- Use screwdrivers to screw the garbage disposal unit and wipe away the excess putty. Here you completed the process of plumb garbage disposal by yourself.
How to Plumb a Double Kitchen Sink with Dishwasher?
The first question comes to our mind how to plumb a dishwasher? Is it too hard to do it himself?
No, it does not just have to follow some steps to get it done. Before starting the installation process, you need some tools.
The things required are as follows:
- Air gap fitting
- Utility knife
- One inch hose clamp
- Light hammer
- Two extra rubber compression washer
- Dishwasher installation kit
- Two compression clamps
The steps to follow while doing installation are as follows:
- Before starting the installation process, ensure to turn off the water supply of your home completely.
- Now from the electrical outlet unplug the garbage disposal or permanently fixed to it, turn off the main switch of power supply.
- Remove the knockout plug that is inside the hose nozzle using nose pliers.
- Now insert the threaded stem at the top of the air gap fitting into the specified hole. Don’t use pliers to tighten the cap; instead of that use your hands.
- Rotate the air gap fitting until the nozzle points are in the direction of garbage disposal.
- For fixing the hose clamps, push one side of the garbage disposal drain hose onto the dishwasher nozzle.
- Use a utility knife for cutting the upper side of the hose to the sizeable length.
- On the other side of the dishwasher drain hose, use a one-inch hose clamp.
Here you are done with double sink plumbing with garbage disposal and dishwasher.
FAQ of “How to Plumb a Double Kitchen Sink with Disposal and Dishwasher?”:
Is it better to drain the dishwasher through garbage disposal?
Ans: Yes, it is better to drain the dishwasher through garbage disposal as if there are large particles of food that go into dishwasher strain.
To get them ground up, you have to turn the switch on to remove them, and you will be able to save them from being sent down to the drain.
Can you put a dishwasher and garbage disposal on the same circuit?
Ans: For that, you need a two-pole circuit breaker dedicated to each dishwasher and garbage disposal that will make you use the same circuit for them. If you need to fix one, you can turn off the other to ensure your safety.
Does the dishwasher need its breaker?
Ans: Yes, the dishwasher needs its circuit breaker. It should be separated from other appliance circuits. As if any issue happens with this, it will not create safety hazards to other appliances.
What’s the best way to use a double sink?
Ans: With the use of a double sink, you can set aside the scrape food into the side with the help of garbage disposal.
Also, it is easy to soak and wash the dishes on one side of the sink and rinse them using the other side of the sink.
Does a double sink need two traps?
It is not mandatory to have two traps in a double sink. You can use one P trap for each sink, connect the two sinks to a tee, and then add the tee into a single p trap.
That’s it for today. I hope you got the answer to how to double sink plumbing with garbage disposal and dishwasher? It is effortless to connect garbage disposal and dishwasher to your kitchen sink if you follow the steps carefully.
Also, you need to read the instructions given by manufacturers on the product not to make any mistake that will cause you safety issues or make the mistake of doing it wrong.
Now you can do double sink plumbing with garbage disposal and dishwasher by yourself. Go for it.